ESOS is a set of regulations that came into force in June 2014 requiring all “large” organisations to undertake energy audits and identify options for energy savings every four years. The Phase 3 qualification date is 31st December 2022 and the compliance date is 5th December 2023.
Learn more about our ESOS Compliance consulting services.
Find out more
ESOS applies to all non-government UK organisations if, on 31 December 2022, they:
- employ 250 or more people; OR
- have both an annual turnover in excess of £44 million and an annual balance sheet total in excess of £38 million; OR
- are part of a corporate group that satisfies either of the above criteria; OR
- are a non-UK company that has 250 or more employees in the UK.
If your company meets any of the above criteria, ESOS applies to you. Qualifying organisations that fail to comply face fines that can escalate towards £100,000.
To comply with ESOS, all qualifying organisations must undertake one of the following exercises:
- Measure their total energy consumption for a 12-month period including 31st December 2022 and complete an ESOS-compliant energy audit that covers 90% of their energy consumption and is reviewed by a qualified Lead Assessor; OR
- Implement an ISO 50001 Energy Management System, covering 100% of their energy consumption, that is certified by a UKAS-accredited Certification Body.
ESOS occurs in four-yearly compliance phases and ESOS (Phase 1) completed in 2015. It is important to assess whether you need to participate in ESOS by the qualification dates on each phase.
For ESOS (Phase 2) the qualification date is 31st December 2022. The four-year compliance phase runs from 6th December 2015 until 5th December 2019. The compliance date for ESOS (Phase 2) is 5th December 2019
For ESOS (Phase 3) the qualification date is 31st December 2022. The four-year compliance phase runs from 6th December 2019 until 5th December 2023. The compliance date for phase 2 is 5th December 2023.
How can Equas help you?
We can help you complete and submit your ESOS Assessment or achieve ISO 50001, whatever your industry sector is. If you need to meet the requirements of other standards alongside, we specialise in building integrated systems.
Contact us now to discuss your requirements and obtain a fixed-price quotation with guaranteed certification.